The E-postle March 29, 2020
Fifth Sunday in Lent
March 29, 2020
“The Parish of St. John the Apostle is called to be
* A Spirited Community at the heart of Port Moody
* transformed through the experience of the presence of Christ
* and sent out to share God’s Love”
Note: All gatherings below take place online via Zoom unless otherwise indicated.
Sunday, March 29 8:30am & 10am – Morning Prayer
Sunday, March 29 following 8:30 and 10am worship – Dive Deeper: Loving Neighbour – Week 5: “The Courage to Practice Grace Under Pressure”
Tuesday, March 31 10:15am–12noon – Dive Deeper: Loving God – Prayer Workshop #5 (AM)
Tuesday, March 31 7 – 8:30pm – Dive Deeper: Loving God – Prayer Workshop #5 (PM)
Tuesday, March 31 7 – 9pm – Parish Council meeting
How has everyone been doing this past week? As the time of physical distancing extends, even as we know it’s the most important, effective, and most responsible thing that we can do now for the health and safety of our selves and community, it can still be difficult. Be gentle with yourself in this time and don’t try to do too much. Let yourself experience (don’t bottle them up!) emotions whenever they randomly show up, whether it’s grief, or anger, or fear, or anxiety, or annoyance, or happiness, or joy, or even silliness! Seek out the things that ground you – could be quiet prayer time with God, a telephone call with a friend, healthy food, a walk outside, time in your garden, games with your kids, an engrossing book, a funny TV show, or any number of things. Most of all, know that you don’t need to go it alone – in this time, lean on the support of loved ones, and on God most of all. “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.” – Psalm 46: 1.
Beloved community of St. John’s – I encourage you to continue to care for yourselves, and care for each other in this time. Kristin and Natasha from our Stewardship Team are taking the lead on new ways of connecting us as a parish community in this time (see further down in this epostle) – please do reach out to them if you are interested in being part of these efforts, and if you have any ideas and suggestions. And as always, if there are any pastoral needs that you know of among our parish members, please let me know via email@example.com or 604-936-7762 (church voicemail) or 604-723-5029 (cell).
Parishioner Derek de Sa had a brief hospital visit this week and is now safely home. He wanted to convey the following to St. John’s:
Rosemary and I want to thank you personally as well as ALL the congregation at St. John’s for all the love and support expressed in prayers on our behalf. It was a great and overwhelming experience to know that so many “were gathered together” in Spirit.
It was a big scare—but with a good outcome. I do know what I can expect in the future, but I also know, once again, that this community is always there for us.
I may have missed some of the people who have sent us loving emails of support, so I wonder if this letter of thanks could be sent as a small appendix to the Newsletter.
Gratefully thankful. May God continue to bless us all.
– Derek and Rosemary de Sa.
From Sunday by Sunday: Reflections on Stewardship, prepared by the Ven. Dr. Michael Pollesel:
Fifth Sunday in Lent. John 11:1-45
“Many who observed what Jesus had done came to believe in him”. It seems so much easier for them, back then, to believe. But what if you were able to see something similar happen right now. Would you believe? A faithful steward is one who believes that their role is to help God’s dream for creation come true. What are you doing to make the dream a reality?
Maintaining Parish Social Connections
Humans beings are social. We interact with each other many times a day not only through work, social clubs and family gatherings, but also in the line at the bank, checking out our groceries, riding the elevator or waiting at the bus stop. As we band together to flatten the curve, your stewardship team would like to hear from anyone interested in helping connect people or whoever needs a phone call, text or video chat.
Volunteering in the Wider Community
For anyone who is interested, there are several community programs outside of our church that are looking for volunteers to help people in our communities.
- Tricities Seniors Planning Network. The email is firstname.lastname@example.org. The contact person is Ken Kuhn (604) 949-0599.
- If anyone is interested in joining a Facebook group, “CareMongering-GVRD- Greater Vancouver Community Response to COVID19” is a group trying to organize people in their areas to help others. Here is a link to the group if anyone is interested in joining: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2516483731925883/
- Another similar Facebook group focusing on the Tricities is “Covid-19 Coming Together (Tricities, BC)” https://www.facebook.com/groups/2411295219093046/
- Keep an eye/ear out where you live. For instance, we have a notice board in our building that people can use to sign up to ask for help… be it picking something up if someone is going out for supplies or prescriptions… making a phone call to someone who is feeling lonely… or anything people choose to share.
With virtual hugs, warm thoughts, and many prayers for you all…
- Kristin Kuhn, on behalf of your Stewardship Team –
Palm Sunday Worship
Since we will not be able to physically gather as usual this year with palms on Palm Sunday (it’s next Sunday, April 5), we are inviting everyone to find a local plant from your garden or household (could be a branch, some leaves, or even a potted plant!) to lift in the air on that day. This will be in the spirit of the original Palm Sunday where people gathered palm branches (the local vegetation of the time) to welcome Jesus into Jerusalem!
You could also create a paper version of the palms – there are lots of ideas on the internet – here’s an easy one suitable for all-ages: https://ministry-to-children.com/palm-sunday-leaf-craft/
Online Worship and Prayer
There are currently 2 ways to join in corporate prayer:
- Sunday Morning Prayer on Zoom – 8:30am and 10am – To join us for Sunday worship, please download Zoom into your device and then at the gathering time, click on:
Meeting ID: 542 312 325
NOTE: You may also join us via telephone at 778-907-2071 (please have the above Meeting ID ready). You won’t be able to see everyone via video, but we will be able to at least hear each other’s voices.
A service leaflet and and scripture readings will be available by Friday evenings at https://www.stja.ca/2020/program-updates/
- Noonday Psalms & Prayer on Facebook – 12noon Mon-Sat – Every day (but Sunday) at noon on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/StJohnAnglican, a brief video will be made available, featuring a reading of a psalm and some time for prayer for those in our lives and in the wider world.
We encourage you to stop for a few minutes of your day to view the video at noon (or view it later if you can’t make it at that time). As with most things we’re trying out, this will be an experiment and feedback and ideas are welcome!
We’re looking for folks (of all ages) who would be interested in leading these psalms/prayers, so it’s not just Vivian all the time! Instructions will be provided. If you’re interested in being involved, please contact Vivian at email@example.com.
Getting Familiar with Zoom
Some of us have not used Zoom before – never fear, we are all learning together! Vivian will be around in our Sunday worship meeting room this Saturday, Mar. 28 from 2-4pm if anyone wishes to come try out and practice with Zoom before Sunday.
Meeting ID: 542 312 325 / Password: 010729
Please email her at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her at 604-723-5029 if you run into any issues. She is also ready to help at other times during the week!
FYI the 2 main steps are:
- Download the Zoom app onto your device. You can use your smartphone, iPad, laptop, desktop computer, etc. Visit your device’s app store or download the app via https://zoom.us/. If you have an older machine (and especially with desktop computers) you may also need to attach a microphone or earphones/headset to fully participate.
- At the time of the gathering, click on the unique link for that gathering. Each event (e.g. worship, prayer workshop, etc.) has a different Meeting ID/password. See https://www.stja.ca/2020/program-updates/ for the Zoom links.
Ongoing Updates Pages
There are 2 important pages on our parish website which will be updated regularly as we have new information (links to both pages can also be found at the top of our homepage www.stja.ca):
- Program Updates – https://www.stja.ca/2020/program-updates/ – current information on programs, including Zoom meeting information for Sunday worship.
- Updates on Covid-19 at St. John’s – https://www.stja.ca/2020/updates-re-coronavirus/ – a collection of all special correspondence from Archbishop Melissa and from our parish re: actions that St. John’s and our greater diocese are taking with the Covid-19 virus.
Parish Office Closed
Please note that due to Covid-19 precautions, the Parish Office is currently closed until further notice. However, voicemails and emails will be regularly checked from Tuesday through Friday during business hours. You may leave a message at (604) 936-7762 or email@example.com.
Vivian is working from home during this time and can also be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or cell phone at 604-723-5029.
Lenten Learning Opportunities
You are invited into “Dive Deeper: Loving God and Loving Neighbour”, a 2-part journey of learning this Lent at St. John’s. Please connect with Vivian in person or at email@example.com with any questions.
PART 1 – Dive Deeper: Loving God – Deepen your prayer life for 1 more Tuesday in Lent (March 31). Parishioner Christine Kesans has been leading us in exploring different prayer practices that help deepen the ways we connect with God through readings, discussion, and practicing prayer techniques together.
2 opportunities to take part in these prayer workshops (via the Zoom app – see instructions below):
- Online on Tuesday mornings, 10:15am-12noon
- Online on Tuesday evenings, 7:00-8:30pm.
Join Zoom Meeting: https://zoom.us/j/3237870539?pwd=bHZrZUxjMmxRbFIrZFBDTDYxTTRKdz09
Meeting ID: 323 787 0539
PART 2: Dive Deeper: Loving Neighbour – Explore how God calls us to faithful courage in our interactions with self and others, in all areas of our lives.
Take part in any or all of these 3 ways:
- Devotional booklet with daily meditations (available in electronic or printed format). Take a few minutes each day to read these and ponder what God might be saying to you about growing in courage.
- Zoom Sunday Gatherings – Join us for the last remaining Sunday (March 29) – we will gather after each worship service to share our insights and learn together. Sermons each Sunday has also been connecting to the week’s theme.
- Lenten Calendar – Visit facebook.com/StJohnAnglican where a new reflection by a member of our St. John’s community has been featured each day throughout Lent.
Food Bank Temporary Suspension
The St. John’s Food Bank is not able to operate until further notice due to the COVID19 virus and the many restrictions that are in place for the safety of all our community and beyond. The Food Bank will resume when safe to do so and will continue to rely on the generosity of our parishioners. Monetary donations are still being accepted. Please speak to Lynne Milner at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
In the meantime, we have been informed about 2 other local food programs that are currently still operating if you are interested in inquiring about ways to help.
- SHARE Food Bank – https://sharesociety.ca/news/share-covid-19-update
- Club Freedom, a meal program run by CityReach Care Society, Broadway Church, and Eagle Ridge Bible Fellowship – https://www.cityreach.org/clubfreedom. (To volunteer or donate food for Sun/Tues/Thurs contact Craig Savage at email@example.com or 604-253-2700. To volunteer or donate food for Mon/Wed/Fri/Sat—contact Debbie Fell at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 604-942-5622)
Free to a Good Home – Reclining Chair
A notice from parishioner Lori Matthes. Please contact her at email@example.com or 604-464-2913 if you or someone you know are interested:
“I have a large motorized reclining chair (like a lazyboy recliner) – it is ideal for someone with mobility issues. I was hoping to let people know in the St. John’s community, in case someone is in need. It is in good shape, but we are downsizing and it is free. We unfortunately have no way to deliver it so they would have to pick it up. We would keep our social distance!!”
The Anglican Church of Canada – the Most Rev. Linda Nicholls, Primate, and the Most Rev. Mark MacDonald, National Indigenous Anglican Archbishop.
The Diocese of New Westminster – the Most Rev. Melissa Skelton, Archbishop, and Metropolitan of the Ecclesiastical Province of BC and Yukon.
And this week:
* Diocesan care+share Outreach Program – particularly, Urban Aboriginal Ministries (UAM) and the Reverend Vivian Seegers;
* Our partner Diocese of Northern Philippines, Bishop Brent Alawas, and especially the people of our twin church at St. John the Evangelist Mission, Balugan;
* The Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada – National Bishop Susan Johnson, BC Synod Bishop Greg Mohr;
* The brothers and sisters who share our worship space: The Port Moody Korean Presbyterian Church
Readings for March 29, 2020 – Fifth Sunday in Lent
Ezekiel 37:1-14; Psalm 130; Romans 8:6-11; John 11:1-45
Readings for April 5, 2020 – The Sunday of the Passion: Palm Sunday
Liturgy of the Palms: Matthew 21:1-11; Psalm 118:1-2, 19-29.
Liturgy of the Passion: Isaiah 50:4-9a; Psalm 31:9-16; Philippians 2:5-11; Matthew 27:11-54.
Important Contact Information
Rector – The Rev. Vivian Lam – firstname.lastname@example.org or 604-936-7762 (church voicemail) or 604-723-5029 (cell)
Deacon – The Rev. Anne Anchor – email@example.com
Parish Office – firstname.lastname@example.org or 604-936-7762
(Office is closed at this time, but email and voice messages will be checked Tuesday – Friday)
Rector’s Warden- Geri Grigg – email@example.com
People’s Warden – Ruby Ng – firstname.lastname@example.org
Treasurer – Amalia McGlashan – email@example.com
Envelope Secretary – Sheila de Vaal – firstname.lastname@example.org
Parish Council – Kristin Kuhn, Secretary – email@example.com
Altar Guild – Brenda Binns – firstname.lastname@example.org
Prayer Circle – Sue Elliott – email@example.com
Pastoral Visiting Ministry – Joanne Walton/Alma Oldenburg – firstname.lastname@example.org
Anglican Church Women (ACW) – Alma Oldenburg – 604-788-2562 or ACW@stja.ca
Children’s Ministry /Godly Play – Christina Anchor – email@example.com
Prayer Shawls – Rosa Weisensel – firstname.lastname@example.org
Bible Study – Lynne Milner – email@example.com
Food Bank – Lynne Milner – firstname.lastname@example.org
Building Repairs/Maintenance – Brian McGlashan, Building Coordinator – email@example.com
April 17, 2021
April 10, 2021
April 03, 2021