The E-Postle March 24, 2019
The Third Sunday in Lent
March 24, 2019
“The Parish of St. John the Apostle is called to be
* A Spirited Community at the heart of Port Moody
* transformed through the experience of the presence of Christ
* and sent out to share God’s Love”
Sunday, Mar 24 8:30 & 10am + coffee hour discussion after each service – 3rd sermon in Preaching Series – “The Strategy of Jesus’ Ministry”
Tuesday, Mar 26 10:15am – noon – “The Poetry of Lent” Bible Study in the Parish Hall
Sunday, Mar 31 8:30 & 10am + coffee hour discussion after each service – 4th sermon in Preaching Series – “The Method of Jesus’ Ministry”
Sunday, Apr 14 8:30 & 10am – Palm Sunday worship
Thursday, Apr 18 6pm – simple supper + Maundy Thursday worship
Friday, Apr 19 11am – Good Friday worship, with Stations of the Cross
Sunday, Apr 21 8:30 & 10am – Easter Sunday worship
“The most important thing is to actually think about what you do. To become aware and actually think about the effect of what you do on the environment and on society. That’s key, and that underlies everything else.”
- Jane Goodall
Lenten learning opportunities
We are excited to invite you to several opportunities for learning together this Lent at St. John’s:
- Preaching Series on Jesus – remaining Sundays Mar. 24, 31, and Apr. 7. Michael Chin, Anne Anchor, and Vivian Lam are taking turns preaching on a different aspect of Jesus’ ministry, and how that connects to our lives now. At coffee hour after both the 8:30am and 10am services, we are gathering to share our reflections on that week’s sermon topic.
- Lent Worship Words – 6 – Apr. 14 – This Lent, we are reflecting together each day on how different aspects of our worship and worship space bring us closer to God. We are creating our own St. John’s Lenten calendar—both online via our Facebook page, and a physical calendar at the church. Individuals and families are encouraged to sign up to take the lead on reflecting on one day’s word – sign-up sheets are in the parish hall, or contact Vivian at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Poetry of Lent – remaining Tuesdays Mar. 26 & Apr. 2, 9 – 10:15am-12noon – Our Tuesday morning Bible Study is reading the poetry of Mary Oliver together and reflecting on it and different scripture passages each week. Printed copies of the study guide are available – pick one up in the back of the church this Sunday or contact Jennifer in the parish office at email@example.com to have the guide emailed to you.
Death, Dying, & Dessert
Why should you have your estate & funeral planning in place? Come and learn how to make your family’s life a little easier when you’re gone. There will be presentations by the Rev. Wally Shea (Deacon) who is a retired Pre-Planning Counsellor & Funeral Director, and Stephen M. Miller who is a Barrister & Solicitor of Miller Law.
This free workshop will be held this Saturday, March 30, 2:00 to 4:30pm, at St. Stephen the Martyr Anglican Church, 9887 Cameron Street, Burnaby. Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or 604-421-0472 to reserve your space. Presented with the support of the Anglican Parishes of North Burnaby and Tri-Cities (St. Timothy, St. Stephen, St. Laurence, St. John, St. Catherine).
2019 Diocesan Synod Information Sessions
In preparation for Diocesan Synod’s consideration of proposed revisions to our Diocesan Constitution, Canons and Rules of Order, several regional gatherings are being convened to present the current materials for information, comment, consideration and questions, including these upcoming two gatherings this week:
Saturday, March 30
- 9:30am – 11:30am – St. Helen’s, 10787 – 128th Street, Surrey
- 1:30pm – 3:30pm – Synod Office, 1410 Nanton Avenue, Vancouver
These consultations are open to everyone, and Synod delegates and clergy are particularly urged to attend. More information can be found at https://www.vancouver.anglican.ca/events/2019-diocesan-synod-information-meetings/2019-03-16
Companion Diocese Pilgrimage Report
At the invitation of Bishop Brent Alawas, Archbishop Melissa Skelton—along with seven others from our diocese—visited our companion diocese of the Episcopal Diocese of Northern Philippines. They attended Diocesan Convention (read ‘Synod’), visited companion parishes and learned about the ministry in EDNP. The pilgrimage was supported by the Bishop’s Friends.
The participants will be sharing their stories, photos and learnings with our diocese on two occasions:
- Saturday, April 6 from 9:30 for 10am to 12noon at St. Christopher, West Vancouver
- Sunday, April 7 from 2 – 4pm at Holy Trinity Cathedral, New Westminster
Come and see.
Renewal of Baptismal and Ordination Vows & Chrism Mass
On Tuesday, April 16 at 12:10pm in Christ Church Cathedral (690 Burrard St., Vancouver), the Archbishop will preside as we make our annual renewal of vows and the blessing of Chrism. The Dean will preach.
Following the Mass and distribution of Oils a light lunch will be served. Following the lunch in the Cathedral Chancel, Father Martin Brokenleg will give a brief address on the spirituality of Holy Week, beginning at 1:45 and ending by 2pm. All are welcome.
A reminder that the Mass is open to all to renew their baptismal vows and to the clergy to renew their ordination vows.
General Synod Volunteers
The Diocese of New Westminster is very excited to host the 42nd General Synod of the Anglican Church of Canada July 9 to 16, 2019, at the Sheraton Wall Centre in Vancouver, and are looking for people to join the General Synod volunteer team.
They are seeking people who are:
- outgoing and friendly,
- have experience in welcoming or greeting at church, or in other frequent capacities,
- and are interested in witnessing the wider Church in action.
Volunteers will be assigned in shifts to participate in areas such as meeting participants at the airport, on-site registration, providing local information and directions, etc.
Please see https://www.vancouver.anglican.ca/diocesan-ministries/general-synod-2019 for more information.
Pastoral Messages on New Zealand
We join the world in mourning from the attacks last week on our Muslim brothers and sisters in Christchurch, New Zealand, and pray for peace.
Please see a pastoral message from our Archbishop Melissa Skelton at
and a pastoral message from Archbishop Fred Hiltz, Primate of the Anglican Church of Canada at
PWRDF response to Cyclone
The Primate’s World Relief and Development Fund (PWRDF) is responding to two ACT Alliance emergency appeals for Cyclone Idai relief with an initial pledge of $30,000 for Mozambique and $20,000 for Zimbabwe. Cyclone Idai has caused loss of life, destruction of property and displacement in the two countries as well as neighbouring Malawi.
More than 215 people have been killed by the storm according to official figures in the three countries. Still hundreds more are missing and more than 1.5 million people have been affected, according to the Red Cross and government officials. The president of Mozambique, Filipe Nyusi, fears the number of dead in Mozambique may be as high as 1,000 people.
Please see https://pwrdf.org/pwrdf-responds-to-cyclone-disaster/ for more information on ways to contribute to these relief efforts.
Proteins needed for St. John’s Food Bank
Protein-rich foods are often the most expensive items for families to purchase when grocery shopping. People on limited budgets often cannot afford them, and make do with stodgy foods to fill stomachs. Please help those who need them by donating the following to St. John’s Food Bank in March:
- tinned salmon, tuna, chicken, beef (not all can eat pork products)
- shelf stable nut butters
- dried or tinned beans and peas
- powdered or shelf-stable milks
- meaty stews or soups
- cans of vegetables
Bring your offerings on Sunday, arrange with the office to drop off during the week, or give some money to this ministry towards the purchase of fresh products.
The Anglican Church of Canada – the Most Rev. Fred Hiltz, Primate, and the Rt. Rev. Mark MacDonald, National Indigenous Bishop.
The Diocese of New Westminster – the Most Rev. Melissa Skelton, Archbishop, and Metropolitan of the Ecclesiastical Province of BC and Yukon.
* Dean: The Very Reverend Peter Elliott, Christ Church Cathedral
* The Archdeacons:
The Venerable Kevin Hunt (Burrard)
The Venerable Stephen Muir (Capilano)
The Venerable Louie Engnan (Fraser)
The Venerable Philippa Seagrave-Pride (Lougheed)
The Venerable John Stephens (Vancouver)
The Venerable Richard Leggett (Westminster)
The Venerable Douglas Fenton (Executive Archdeacon)
The Venerable Bruce Morris (Archdeacon for Deacons)
* Our partner Diocese of Northern Philippines, Bishop Brent Alawas, and especially the people of our twin church at St. John’s Mission, Bila, Mountain Province;
* The Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada – National Bishop Susan Johnson, BC Synod Bishop Greg Mohr;
* The brothers and sisters who share our worship space: The Port Moody Korean Presbyterian Church and the Polish Evangelical Church.
Readings for March 24, 2019 – Third Sunday in Lent
Isaiah 55:1-9; Psalm 63:1-8; 1 Corinthians 10:1-13; Luke 13:1-9
Readings for March 31, 2019 – Fourth Sunday in Lent
Joshua 5:9-12; Psalm 32; 2 Corinthians 5:16-21; Luke 15:1-3, 11b-32
Important Contact Information
Rector – The Rev. Vivian Lam – email@example.com or 604-936-7762
Office Administrator – Jennifer Green – firstname.lastname@example.org or 604-936-7762
Rector’s Warden- Geri Grigg – email@example.com
People’s Warden – Ruby Ng – firstname.lastname@example.org
Treasurer – Cedric Miller – email@example.com
Envelope Secretary – Sheila de Vaal – firstname.lastname@example.org
Parish Council – Adelaine Miller, Secretary – email@example.com
Altar Guild – Brenda Binns – firstname.lastname@example.org
St. John Prayer Circle – Sue Elliott – email@example.com
Pastoral Visiting Ministry – Joanne Walton/Alma Oldenburg – firstname.lastname@example.org
Anglican Church Women (ACW) – Sue Hall – 604-936-0176 or ACW@stja.ca
Children’s Ministry /Godly Play – Christina Anchor – email@example.com
Prayer Shawls – Rosa Weisensel – firstname.lastname@example.org
Bible Study – Lynne Milner – email@example.com
Food Bank – Lynne Milner – firstname.lastname@example.org
April 17, 2021
April 10, 2021
April 03, 2021