The E-Postle April 7, 2019
The Fifth Sunday in Lent
April 7, 2019
“The Parish of St. John the Apostle is called to be
* A Spirited Community at the heart of Port Moody
* transformed through the experience of the presence of Christ
* and sent out to share God’s Love”
Sunday, Apr 7 8:30 & 10am + coffee hour discussion after each service – 5th sermon in Preaching Series – “Jesus’ Commission”
Tuesday, Apr 9 10:15am – noon – “The Poetry of Lent” Bible Study in the Parish Hall
Thursday, Apr 11 7pm – ACW monthly meeting
Saturday, Apr 13 1pm – Lennie Kerr funeral
Sunday, Apr 14 8:30 & 10am – Palm Sunday worship
Thursday, Apr 18 6pm – simple supper + Maundy Thursday worship
Friday, Apr 19 11am – Good Friday worship, with Stations of the Cross
Sunday, Apr 21 8:30 & 10am – Easter Sunday worship
“Dive deeply into the miracle of life and let the tips of your wings be burnt by the flame, let your feet be lacerated by the thorns, let your heart be stirred by human emotion, and let your soul be lifted beyond the earth.”
- Vilayat Inayat Khan (1916 – 2004). From edgeofenclosure.org
Lennie Kerr Funeral
We are sad to announce the death of parishioner Lennie Kerr, and offer our condolences and prayers to Winston Kerr and family for their great loss. A Service in Thanksgiving for Lennie’s Life will be held here at St. John’s on Saturday, April 13, 1pm, with a reception following downstairs in the parish hall. In lieu of flowers, donations in Lennie’s memory may be made to The MS Society of Canada.
Supper at Maundy Thursday Service Thursday 18th April @ 6 pm
We will be having a simple supper of soups, cheese and buns at 6 pm as part of the Maundy Thursday worship service. We are requesting volunteers to cook/donate soups, cheese, olives and buns.
Sign-up sheets are posted at the usual place in the Parish Hall. For further details, please check in with Ruby at email@example.com
The Altar Guild will be decorating the church on Saturday April 20th. If you would like to help offset the cost of the Easter Lilies by donating $10.00, please phone Brenda Binns at 604 931 2482. You may collect your Easter Lily after the 10 a.m. service.
Keep an eye out at worship this year for 2 lovely new priest chasubles (purple and green) that have been recently purchased to complement our blue chasuble that debuted this past Advent. These chasubles were paid for by donations to the Memorial Fund – thank you to all who have generously contributed to this fund, and to Brenda Binns for shepherding the order through.
Lenten learning opportunities
Just one more week for learning together this Lent at St. John’s!:
- Preaching Series on Jesus – one remaining Sunday Apr. 7. Michael Chin, Anne Anchor, and Vivian Lam have been taking turns preaching on a different aspect of Jesus’ ministry, and how that connects to our lives now. At coffee hour after both the 8:30am and 10am services, we are gathering to share our reflections on that week’s sermon topic.
- Lent Worship Words – 6 – Apr. 14 – This Lent, we have been reflecting together each day on how different aspects of our worship and worship space bring us closer to God. We have created our own St. John’s Lenten calendar—check it out online via our Facebook page, and the physical calendar downstairs in the hall. Thank you to all who have taken the lead on reflecting on one of the words!
- The Poetry of Lent – one remaining Tuesday April 9 – 10:15am-12noon – Our Tuesday morning Bible Study has been reading the poetry of Mary Oliver together and reflecting on it and different scripture passages each week. Printed copies of the study guide can be picked up in the back of the church or contact Jennifer in the parish office at firstname.lastname@example.org to have the guide emailed to you.
The next A.C.W. meeting, originally scheduled for April 18th, has now been rescheduled to this Thursday April 11th at 7 pm., as it conflicts with Maundy Thursday. We will be collecting our annual Baby Layette at this meeting. This outreach is not limited to A.C.W. members. If you would like to donate a new baby item please speak to Sue Hall, or any A.C.W. member. Any donation would be much appreciated. Baby Layettes are a collection of items a family would need for a new baby, bundled up in a blanket, and sent to needy families in the North of B.C. and locally.
The Coquitlam Chorale (three of our parishioners will be singing!)
The Coquitlam Chorale presents “And the Winner is…” at Eagle Ridge Bible Fellowship, 1160 Lansdowne Dr., Coquitlam.
Performances will be Saturday April 13 @ 7:30 pm, and Sunday April 14 @ 2:00 pm. Tickets available at the door and are $20 each, with students and children at $10 each.
Introduction to Centering Prayer Program
This program offers the opportunity to explore a deep reﬂective practice of silent prayer based on the rich wisdom teaching of the Christian contemplative tradition. Hosted by Ridge Meadows Centering Prayer Group at #156 – 19639 Meadows Gardens Way, Pitt Meadows, V3Y 2T5
This will be a Saturday workshop on April 27th, 10 am to 3pm. Continuing sessions will be held every Wednesday in May from 7pm to 8.30pm. For further information check out the flyer online at www.cogv.org or contact Christine Kesans at 604-944-7447 or email@example.com
Renewal of Baptismal and Ordination Vows & Chrism Mass
Next Tuesday, April 16 at 12:10pm in Christ Church Cathedral (690 Burrard St., Vancouver), the Archbishop will preside as we make our annual renewal of vows and the blessing of Chrism. The Dean will preach.
Following the Mass and distribution of Oils a light lunch will be served. Following the lunch in the Cathedral Chancel, Father Martin Brokenleg will give a brief address on the spirituality of Holy Week, beginning at 1:45 and ending by 2pm. All are welcome.
A reminder that the Mass is open to all to renew their baptismal vows and to the clergy to renew their ordination vows.
Please register by this Thursday April 11 via the link at the bottom of https://www.vancouver.anglican.ca/events/renewal-of-vows-chrism-mass/2019-04-16
General Synod Volunteers
The Diocese of New Westminster is very excited to host the 42nd General Synod of the Anglican Church of Canada July 9 to 16, 2019, at the Sheraton Wall Centre in Vancouver, and are looking for people to join the General Synod volunteer team.
They are seeking people who are:
- outgoing and friendly,
- have experience in welcoming or greeting at church, or in other frequent capacities,
- and are interested in witnessing the wider Church in action.
Volunteers will be assigned in shifts to participate in areas such as meeting participants at the airport, on-site registration, providing local information and directions, etc.
Please see https://www.vancouver.anglican.ca/diocesan-ministries/general-synod-2019 for more information.
PWRDF response to Cyclone
The Primate’s World Relief and Development Fund (PWRDF) is responding to two ACT Alliance emergency appeals for Cyclone Idai relief with an initial pledge of $30,000 for Mozambique and $20,000 for Zimbabwe. Cyclone Idai has caused loss of life, destruction of property and displacement in the two countries as well as neighbouring Malawi.
More than 215 people have been killed by the storm according to official figures in the three countries. Still hundreds more are missing and more than 1.5 million people have been affected, according to the Red Cross and government officials. The president of Mozambique, Filipe Nyusi, fears the number of dead in Mozambique may be as high as 1,000 people.
Please see https://pwrdf.org/pwrdf-responds-to-cyclone-disaster/ for more information on ways to contribute to these relief efforts.
Proteins needed for St. John’s Food Bank
Protein-rich foods are often the most expensive items for families to purchase when grocery shopping. People on limited budgets often cannot afford them and make do with stodgy foods to fill stomachs. Please help those who need them by donating the following to St. John’s Food Bank in April:
- tinned salmon, tuna, chicken, beef (not all can eat pork products)
- shelf stable nut butters
- dried or tinned beans and peas
- powdered or shelf-stable milks
- meaty stews or soups
- cans of vegetables
Bring your offerings on Sunday, arrange with the office to drop off during the week, or give some money to this ministry towards the purchase of fresh products.
The Anglican Church of Canada – the Most Rev. Fred Hiltz, Primate, and the Rt. Rev. Mark MacDonald, National Indigenous Bishop.
The Diocese of New Westminster – the Most Rev. Melissa Skelton, Archbishop, and Metropolitan of the Ecclesiastical Province of BC and Yukon.
* The Street Outreach Initiative – The Reverend Matthew Johnson
* The Synod Planning Committee
* Our partner Diocese of Northern Philippines, Bishop Brent Alawas, and especially the people of our twin church at St. John’s Mission, Bila, Mountain Province;
* The Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada – National Bishop Susan Johnson, BC Synod Bishop Greg Mohr;
* The brothers and sisters who share our worship space: The Port Moody Korean Presbyterian Church and the Polish Evangelical Church.
Readings for April 7, 2019 – Fifth Sunday in Lent
Isaiah 43:16-21; Psalm 126; Philippians 3:4b-14; John 12:1-8
Readings for April 14, 2019 – The Sunday of the Passion with the Liturgy of the Palms
Luke 19:28–40 (Liturgy of the Palms); Isaiah 50:4–9a; Psalm 31:9–16; Philippians 2:5–11; Luke 23:1–49
Important Contact Information
Rector – The Rev. Vivian Lam – firstname.lastname@example.org or 604-936-7762
Office Administrator – Jennifer Green – email@example.com or 604-936-7762
Rector’s Warden- Geri Grigg – firstname.lastname@example.org
People’s Warden – Ruby Ng – email@example.com
Treasurer – Cedric Miller – firstname.lastname@example.org
Envelope Secretary – Sheila de Vaal – email@example.com
Parish Council – Adelaine Miller, Secretary – firstname.lastname@example.org
Altar Guild – Brenda Binns – email@example.com
St. John Prayer Circle – Sue Elliott – firstname.lastname@example.org
Pastoral Visiting Ministry – Joanne Walton/Alma Oldenburg – email@example.com
Anglican Church Women (ACW) – Sue Hall – 604-936-0176 or ACW@stja.ca
Children’s Ministry /Godly Play – Christina Anchor – firstname.lastname@example.org
Prayer Shawls – Rosa Weisensel – email@example.com
Bible Study – Lynne Milner – firstname.lastname@example.org
Food Bank – Lynne Milner – email@example.com
May 17, 2019
May 10, 2019
May 03, 2019